Thursday, April 1, 2010

Weekend getaway

The first weekend in March... and yes I am a little behind with this whole blogging thing...we had an adventure heading up to "The High Life" cabin. It was a short trip, lasting only 24 hours, but it was great to finally get up there this winter. Mikey and I drove the snow cat up while Johnn took a snowmobile. The powder was so deep that Johnn buried the snowmobile and the snow cat barely made it up the big hill. But with some digging out and towing, we did make it there safely. Johnn spend most of our time there fixing the snowmobile, but my Mr. Fix It was able to come through. I'm starting to think that if Johnn can't fix something than it can't be fixed. He's kinda like duck tape :)
Michael thinks the big truck (aka snow cat) is really fun. He makes great engine sounds while we were riding in it. If you have ever been in a snow cat, you know that they are anything but quiet.

It's a little deceptive how deep the snow was. I stepped out of the cat into the powder on the side and figured that I would sink down a little, but ended up in waist-deep snow.

We were able to accomplish our main goal of the trip and leave the snow cat up at the cabin, which meant that we also got to bring down one of the the 4-wheelers that were stuck out in the snow all winter. The cat packed our track pretty well, but there was no way that I could 4-wheel out in that much snow so Johnn towed me with the snow mobile while I gave it gas. I have never fishtailed so much in my life, and after one near tip over, we made it down safely. We always say that half the adventure of the cabin is getting there & getting back. I am proud to say that we have never turned around an headed home without reaching our destination. We have walked in from miles out when we forgot the key to the lower gate, crawled the last mile up the hill in the deep powder because it was too deep to walk in, gotten the car stuck in yucky mud and hoofed it with 6 inches of mud stuck to our shoes, and even been tracked by a mountain lion while snowshoeing up in the wee hours of the morning. Like I said, it's an adventure.
This is one of the 3 moose that we saw.

No comments: